Last Updated on March 22, 2020
Doom Eternal is the fifth instalment of the well known Doom franchise from Bethesda. The game was unlocked a few hours back and has been gathering good reviews, the store page has over 300 very positive reviews. The last iteration of the game was launched back in 2016, and doom fans have been waiting since then. The time is finally here, head to the steam store and make your purchase.
The reviews from the Gaming Magazines are not bad either, IGN rated the game 9/10, PC Gamer rated it 94/100, and PCGamesN rated it 9/10.
Similar to the older versions, you play as the Doom Slayer, your objective is to take down hell armies and the save the earth. There is a huge variety of weapons to choose from, my favourite would be the melee. There’s also a new mode called “Enter Battlemode”, a PvP, where the doom slayer has to fight against two-player controlled demons.
Doom Eternal Lag Fix
I’ve been playing the game for around two hours, honestly, the game has been optimized pretty well. I ran the game at max possible settings on my computer running on i7 8600 w/ RTX 2060, I didn’t face any lagging or stuttering issues at all. I was looking at Reddit Forums, Bethesda Forum and the Steam community discussions, not many users are discussing the troubles.
However, if you are facing any issues this article is for you. I am mentioning a few things that you can change to make the game run better for you.
- OS: Windows 10
- Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better, or AMD Ryzen 3 @ 3.1 GHz or better
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB), GTX 1060 (3GB), GTX 1650 (4GB) or AMD Radeon R9 280(3GB), AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB), RX 470 (4GB)
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 50 GB available space
- OS: 64-bit Windows 10
- Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K or better, or AMD Ryzen 7 1800X or better
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), NVIDIA GeForce 970 (4GB), AMD RX 480 (8GB)
- Storage: 50 GB available space
The system requirements are pretty nominal comparing to today’s standards. If your hardware doesn’t fall in between the mentioned details then you should start with adjusting your settings on the lower side. I will be adding a new settings section in this article once I test the game on more machines.
Update Device Drivers
Nvidia and AMD are known for releasing updates related to the game before they are released. The update for Doom Eternal was released yesterday and can be downloaded from the official graphics card website.
Nvidia Doom Drivers
Nvidia has already released Doom Eternal specific update already. Fire up your Geforce Experience and click on “check for updates” located on the upper right side.
AMD Doom Drivers
AMD users can download the official driver update from the link provided below. Users have reported that the game is crashing on launch for them, this will also be fixed upon updating your driver.
Fix Lagging and Stuttering in Doom Eternal
Below are a few things that you can change to improve game performance
Discord is one of the best VOIP apps out there, but it can also lead to FPS drops in many cases. Let’s make a few changes to fix it.
Disable Hardware Acceleration in Discord
- Open Discord
- User Settings > Appearance
- Click on Hardware Acceleration > Turn it off
Disable Discord in-game Overlay
- Open Discord
- Overlay > Turn off “Enable in-game overlay”
Turn off Windows Game Mode
Windows hype the Windows Game Bar/Game Mode as a really useful feature, but it actually leads to problems for low-end PCs. Follow the steps below to turn it off.
- Start > Settings > Gaming
- On Game Bar, set “Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar” to off.
- Captures > set the “Record the background while I’m playing a game” to Off.
- Click on Game Mode tab, and turn it off.
Lower Down Game Settings
Whenever you are facing performance issues in a game, it is always recommended that you tone down the settings. I would advise you to start with textures and shadows. Tweak around with settings and figure out what works best for you.
As mentioned earlier, I will be posting game settings once I have tested Doom on multiple machines.
Tweak Graphic Card Settings
Below is a list of changes that you need to make by heading to your Graphic Card’s control panel. These settings work for both low-end/high-end machines.
- Fire up Nvidia Control Panel
- Click on Manage 3D Settings from the options appearing on the left
- Click Global Settings Tab
- Set Threaded Optimization: On
- Set Texture filtering – Quality: Performance
- Set Maximum Pre-rendered frames: 2
- Set Power Management: Prefer Maximum Performance
AMD Radeon Settings
- Radeon Boost: Disabled
- Radeon Anti-Lag: Disabled
- Anti-Aliasing Mode: Use Application settings
- Anti-aliasing Method: Multisampling
- Morphological Filtering: Off
- Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Use application settings
- Texture Filtering Quality: Performance
- Surface Format Optimization: On
- OpenGL Triple Buffering: Off
- Shader Cache: AMD optimized
- Tesselation Mode: Override application settings
- Maximum Tesselation Level: Off
- GPU Workload: Graphics
- Chill: Off
- Frame Rate Target Control: Disabled
These settings should help you a bit when it comes to graphics related lag.
Increase Game Priority
A really old method known for a long time for boosting FPS in games. Follow the steps given below to increase your game priority.
- Open Task Manager and locate Doom Eternal
- Right-click > Details
- Located the process’s exe file and set it’s priority to high
This will increase your game’s priority over other applications hence boosting the performance.
Disable Memory Hogging Applications
Use task manager to find applications that are eating your memory or disk usage. Disable those applications while running the game.
An example of a memory eating application would be Chrome.
I installed my game on SSD, didn’t face any stuttering issues.
Fix Doom Eternal Crashing
Below are a few fixes/tweaks that you can look into if you are facing crashing troubles.
Verify Game Files
A broken download can impact your gaming experience, whenever you face any crashing issue, the first thing you should do is verify your game files. Almost every launcher nowadays has an option to verify game files, this takes a while as it verifies all the game files and downloaded all the broken ones.
I am mentioning the steps that you can follow for verifying files using Steam.
- Go to your Steam Library and locate Doom Eternal
- Right-click on the game and click Properties
- Head to the Local Files Tab
- Click “verify integrity of game files”
This will take a while to complete, any problematic files will be downloaded.
Turn off Overclocking Applications
Crashing issue is mostly caused due to overclocking applications interfering with the game. Run your Graphics Card, Processor and RAM at default clock speeds to fix and issues. Also, turn off MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner and Zotac Firestorm if you’ve any of those installed.
Remove Temp Windows Files
Time to time, Windows will collect garbage files that are of no use. Follow the steps given below to remove these files.
- Press Windows + R, and type ” %temp%” and press Enter
- The Temp files folder will open up
- Press CTRL + A and delete all the files
Some of these files might be in use and might not get deleted, just ignore them.
Windows updates are pretty useful nowadays, Windows pushes multiple updates every month which is good for your computer. Older versions of Windows 10 have many bugs, leading to performance issues.
Head to Windows Settings > Update and Security > View Update History and start your updates.
Note: Remove KB4535996 from updates if you face issues even after downloading the latest update.
Unpark Cores using QuickCPU
Windows doesn’t allow all the applications to use full clock speed. With the help of QuickCPU you can unpark your cores and run them at full speeds, follow the steps given below to do it.
- Download QuickCPU
- Fire up QuickCPU
- Set System Power Plan to High Performance
- Set “CPU parking Index” to 100%
- Set “Frequency Scaling Index” to 100%
- Set “Turbo Boost Index” to 100%
- Save your settings by clicking on the Apply Button
That is all for fixing issues in Doom Eternal. If this guide helped you comment below.
This article was written by Piyush. An ENT by profession who loves playing and writing about video games.
Favorite Games: Apex Legends, Global Offensive, Destiny 2, and Warframe.
Special Picks for 2021: Outriders & Valheim.